lauantai 7. helmikuuta 2015

Android Wear - (Almost) One Month In

I've had my Android Wear device - an LG G Watch - for a few days short of a month now, so this is good time for the first checkpoint. Do I still use it? Oh yeah. Every day and almost everywhere. Do I like it? Yes I do. In fact, I like it to the point that the phone I typically use around the house is my Nexus 5 as I can't (at least not yet) tether the watch to my iPhone.

With this newfound wearable addiction I'll be looking closely at the release of the Apple Watch. That one would solve my phone dilemma as the iPhone is still my go-to phone for most things, but I'm somewhat concerned about its battery life and it being a first-gen Apple product (they don't quite often get things right on the first attempt). If this 9to5mac article is accurate, going from the G Watch to the Apple Watch would be a downgrade regarding the traditional primary use of a watch, i.e. telling time. If the Apple Watch can really do anything with the screen on including telling the time for only three hours, I'm rather inclined to stay with my G Watch which displays the time all the time and I have absolutely no problems making it through the day with one charge. I know the Apple Watch is supposed to detect the motion of turning your wrist to look at the time. However, with the G Watch's always on screen (which I can actually switch off to save even more battery) I only need to look at my wrist without moving the wrist in any manner to see the time in most situations. Of course there's a possibility that the Apple Watch has other awesome features to make up for that shortcoming, but with the somewhat limited initial SDK that possible awesomeness would most likely have to be a built-in feature. We'll see.

This information is there all the time

Oh, I also like the fact that my G Watch is water and dust proof for virtually all cases where I might be wearing a watch with its IP67 rating. In addition, having iFixit's repairability rating of 9/10 is also a plus in my books. It'll be interesting to see how the Apple Watch compares to these. But apart from the phone mismatch, I'm a happy camper with my G Watch for now.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti